Installation & Maintenance
Can I store my walk-in outdoors?
You should never store a typical walk-in outdoors. We offer customized walk-ins for outdoor storage, and if you specifically need one, we would be happy to work on a plan that will meet your needs.back to top
How do I identify the walk-in model number I have purchased after I get my walk-in?
All of our walk-ins have a unique serial number (SN), so if you want to purchase new parts, check on your warranty, or expand on your walk-in space, just provide us the serial number and we can pull up your product specs.
This number is located on a serial plate that is placed inside the door frame. There is also a sticker on the inside of the door frame that has the SN on it as well. If you cannot locate the serial number (which always begins with SN), please call 1-800-627-5665.back to top
How do I make sure I am being as efficient as possible to keep my operating costs low?
By purchasing an Amerikooler walk-in, you have already taken the first step to reducing cost of cooling operation. All Amerikooler walk-ins are made with extruded polystyrene (XPS). XPS is the best insulation in the market for a walk in cooler or freezer because it retains its R-value for up to 50 years or longer. This quality is important to you because the higher the R-value of your walk-in, the less the refrigeration unit has to work to keep cool and, therefore, the lower your electric bill will be.
Next, make sure and follow some simple operation steps to ensure your walk-in always maintains its cool atmosphere:
- Always keep the door shut.
- Set your defrost cycles to the minimum required levels for your specific needs (a technician can help you with this).
- Install a defrost timer on the cooler which forces it to shut off when it is at its optimal temperature.
- Order strip curtains for your walk-in to lower heat gain when you are loading or walking into the unit.
- Install LED lighting. This is kinder to the environment and will save on energy costs.
- Install an EC motor on the refrigeration unit.
- Perform monthly checks inside your walk-in for light coming from around the door, refrigeration systems, electrical connections and between the panels. If you do see light, contact your service technicians to correct this issue – you are gaining heat through areas that let light in and this is making your refrigeration system work harder, costing you more money!
- Be sure to check the door seals and sweeps for wear and tear once a month. Replace worn parts when necessary to ensure you are getting the best seal possible on your walk-in.
- Finally, maintain the refrigeration system of your walk-in with regular maintenance by a licensed technician.
How hard is it to install an Amerikooler walk-in?
We like to compare it to riding a bike WITH training wheels...anyone can do it. Check out these testimonials.back to top
What are NSF and UL Certifications? Are they important to have on my walk-in?
NSF stands for National Sanitation Foundation. It is viewed by all local building and health departments as the most important foodservice design and equipment listing agency in the U.S. In most states and counties, if it does not have the NSF seal of approval, it does not pass code. This means you cannot use your walk-in for anything that will be publicly consumed.
UL stands for Underwriter Laboratories and is an Independent, not-for-profit product safety testing and certification organization. This organization has been testing products for public safety for more than a century. They are well known in both the foodservice and building industries and it is often necessary to have UL certification to pass electrical compliance. Both of these certifications are not easy to obtain and both are extremely important for a walk-in to have, without them you are at risk for not passing code.back to top
What if I want to change or add to my walk-in later, do you keep drawings and information about my walk-in on file?
Absolutely! Once you are a customer of Amerikooler, you are part of the family. You can reach out to us at anytime to get information on past purchases, ask questions about repairing a part or inquire about expanding your walk in. Just locate the serial number on the sticker we have placed on the inside of the door frame of your cooler, and call us at 1-800-627-5665 or send us an email at email@example.com. If you can't locate the serial number, give us a call, our friendly and expert customer service staff is happy to help.back to top
Where can I find directions to install my walk-in?
Visit the Amerikooler website and find the walk-in you have purchased under 'products'. There is a downloadable, PDF version of the installation manual. There will also be an installation manual that will arrive on the pallet on top of the door. If you have any questions, feel free to call us at 1-800-627-5665 and we can help you find the manual or walk you through the install.back to top
Who should I use to service my walk-in?
Any licensed HVACR mechanical contractor can service your system. For a list of preferred service contractors, contact Amerikooler at 1-800-627-5665 or through our contact page here.back to top